top of page

Our Financial Support Worker, acts as a first point of call for Carers and is based at the Carers Centre. Carers with financial difficulties experience stress, anxiety and depression due to demands of the caring role. the support Worker offers financial advice. In addition, will help with accessing funding for social activities or for items around the home such as assistive technology or white goods which help to reduce stresses of caring. 

Additionally, Carers have the opportunity to access a variety of support available in the Carers Centre promoting peer support, building relationships and firm network of friends. Relationships will be sustainable past the life of the project and will form a large part of the coping mechanisms.

These are some frequently asked questions, that we get asked on a regular basis. Feel free that if you do not see the question and answer that you are looking for to contact us on 01782 793100.

Rosina Wilson

Hi, Im Rosina Wilson if you have any questions that you would like to ask please give me a call on 01782 793100.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
Am I entitled to Carers Allowance

As a rough guide, you can claim carers allowance if all the following apply to you:

- You are caring for someone for at least 35 hours each week.

- You are 16 or over and not in full time education.

- Your income is less than £123 a week after tax, National insurance and certain expenses.

-The person you care for receives either PIP (daily living component) or DLA (at least the middle rate) or Attendance Allowance.

For more information, and to apply online go to click here. if you cannot apply online, you can apply by post. You can download a form from the website. Contact the Carers Centre if you would like help to complete the form. 

Can the person I look after claim Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

If someone of State pension age has an illness or disability which means they have needed help or supervision with everyday tasks for at least 6 months, they may be eligible for Attendance Allowance. Apply by post. A claim for a form can be downloaded from click here or you can telephone to request a form from the Attendance Allowance helpline 0800 731 0122. Contact the Carers Centre if you would like help completing the form. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can be claimed by anyone of working age (over 16) who has difficulties with daily living and/or getting around because they have a health condition or disability. They must have had the condition for at least 3 months and they must expect their condition to last for at least 9 more months. They will be assessed by a health professional to work out the level they can get. Start a new claim for personal Independence Payment (PIP) by telephoning the DWP PIP claim line in 0800 917 2222. See click here for the information you will need. Citizens Advice Bureau and Disability Solutions can assist with PIP claims.

What is Universal Credit? Can I claim it if I am a Carer?

If you are of working age, you may be able to make a new claim for Universal Credit if your on a low income or out of work. You and your partner must have less than £16,000 in saving between you. Carers can apply.

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

- Child Tax Credit

-Housing Benefit

-Income Support

-Income - based Job seeker's Allowance (JSA)

-Income - related Employments and Support Allowance (ESA)

-Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. You do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances. 

You have to apply online at click here. Universal Credit is complex. Citizens Advice offer a free Help To Claim line on 0800 144 8 44.

What if I'm a Carer but don't qualify for Carers Allowance

If your over 16 but under state pension age, you can claim Carers Credit if you look after someone for at least 20 hours a week. Carers Credit is a National insurance credit which helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. (it is paid automatically if you receive Carers Allowance). Apply by post. A claim form can be downloaded from click here or you can telephone the Carers Allowance Unit for a form on 0800 731 0317. The form includes a Care Certificate - ask a health or social care professional to sign it for you.

When am I eligible for a council tax reduction?

You can get a discount on your council tax for several reasons, including:

  • Single Adult - if you are the only person over 18 years old who lives in your home.

  • if you are a Carer living with someone with a disability (who is not your spouse or child under 18)

  • People with severe mental impairment e.g dementia.

  • If you are a full time student or apprentice.

  • If you are over 18 and still qualify for Child Benefit.

For more information and for relevant application form, visit your local website: 

    -   Stoke on Trent Council -

    -   Newcastle under Lyme Council -

    -   Staffordshire Moorlands Council - 

Please contact the Carers Centre if you need any help with the forms.

Can I still get a free over 75 TV Licence?

When you're 74, you can apply for a free over 75 TV Licence and you will get a short term licence to cover you until your 75th Birthday. It covers you as well as anyone you live with. 

If your 75th Birthday is before 1 June 2020, you'll receive a free over 75 TV Licence to cover you until 31st May 2020. To apply, call 0300 790 6130 with your NI number and TV Licence number or visit Click here 

If you turn 75 on or after 1 June 2020, you will only receive a free over 75 Tv licence if you get pension credit.

TV Licensing will write to uyou in good time before your free over 75 TV Licence expires to explain what you will need to do. 

If you think you may be eligible for pension Credit but you currently don't receive it, you can find out more at Click here or by calling 0800 99 1234.

Where and how do I claim a blue badge?

You can go online to check your eligibility and to apply for a Blue Badge. You can also use this services to reapply for a Blue badge. click here 

You can apply for yourself or someone else. 

A blue badge costs up to £10 and usally lasts upto 3 years. 

What you'll need:

- You'll need a recent digital photo showing your head and shoulders.

- You'll also need photo or scan of your:

  • proof of identity (such as birth certificate, passport or driving licence). 

  • proof of address (such as Council Tax bill or government letter)

  • proof of disability benefits (if you get any) or GP and medication/treatment details.

  • your National Insurance number (if you hvae one).

If you are unable to access the online services, contact your local council:

-apply by telephone to Stoke on Trent Parking Services- 01782 232091 option 3

-Telephone Staffordshire county Council - 0300 111 8000 option 5 You may need to book an appointment with an ICT  buddy will help you apply online.

Carers   Feedback

Carer, Visitor



We met Rosina, she was brilliant in every way. So helpful!

Carer, Visitor



Fabulous service and very friendly, will certainly recommend x

bottom of page